Monday, September 22, 2008

I have been thinking about the concept of expecting people (students) will behave accordingly for the most part prior to a threat of disciplinary action, as opposed to setting strict rules with harsh consequences before they even have a chance to act. I really believe that you need to have expect things from people, especially your students.

A friend of mine has been a teacher in two different school settings. In the past she has said to me something along the lines of "with these students (at a more urban school) you need to set certain specific rules and have a strict code of discipline, but with these other students (at a suburban school) you don't have to because they don't need it. Prior to this class, I didn't necessarily agree with her statements, but I couldn't seem to figure out my reason as to why. I had never taught in an urban or suburban school so I thought that perhaps I just didn't understand.

However, after doing the readings thus far, I have come to understand my reasoning. As I was reading the "Annenberg Article," it jumped out at me. You have to be able to convey to your students that you believe they will do the right thing. You trust them to behave accordingly. Giving them the benefit of the doubt will instill confidence and accountability. Personally, I know that the feeling I have when disciplined for a violation or non-compliance versus the feeling I have when I dissapoint someone who expected something from me is not comprable. I feel much worse when I do not live up to the potential that someone expected from me. You don't want to dissapoint someone who believes in you.

As a future teacher, I want to expect things from my students. It is so important to believe in EACH one of your student's ability and foster confidence in that ability.

No comments: